- About Us
- Practice Areas
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Aviation Law
- Catastrophic Injury and Wrongful Death Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation
- Health Care Law
- Insurance Defense, Coverage, and Extra-Contractual Litigation
- Mass Tort, Multi-District, and Class Action Litigation
- Medical Devices and Pharmaceutical Products Defense Litigation
- Medical Malpractice and Professional Liability Defense
- Products Liability Defense
- Real Estate Transactions and Litigation
- White Collar Defense and Internal Investigations
- (251) 432-5521
White Collar Defense and
Being targeted by government prosecutors or regulators is overwhelming. Helmsing Leach can provide those in such a predicament with assured counsel armed with a wealth of experience in guiding clients through the complexity and stress of government actions with confidence, discretion and sensitivity.
The firm has handled criminal matters from the earliest stages of the investigation phase through trial and, when necessary, appeal. In more than a few cases, we have obtained optimal outcomes, with no charges brought, no penalties assessed, and no adverse publicity suffered. Our broad experience includes cases involving offenses relating to health care, the environment, public corruption, the Sherman Act, and insurance and financial matters.
We have also represented clients targeted by federal and state regulatory agencies, including those in the health care field. And the firm has substantial experience and success in litigating civil matters that often run parallel to criminal and regulatory proceedings, such as civil RICO and False Claims Act cases.
In addition, we are regularly asked by business clients to investigate potential crimes and regulatory violations by employees, including high-ranking officers. We are adept at getting to the bottom of such sensitive matters with the least amount of disruption to our clients’ operations and company culture. We have conducted corporate investigations in a wide range of industries, including health care, engineering, manufacturing and the financial industry. We also advise clients on how to stay in compliance with laws and regulations governing their businesses.
- Represented high-ranking employee of insurance company in connection with multi-year Mississippi federal and state grand jury investigations into handling of thousands of hurricane damage claims. No charges were brought against client.
- Represented realtor targeted in wide-ranging bid-rigging investigation by the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division that led to over a dozen convictions. No charges were brought against client.
- Represented former chief executive officer of Fortune 500 company tried on charges of public corruption.
- Trial counsel for client charges with securities fraud.
- Represented defendant charged with multiple felony violations of criminal Clean Water Act. Following trial and appeal, client pled guilty to misdemeanor count and served no jail time.
- Represented former chief financial officer of public corporation charged with large scale financial fraud.
The firm is willing to assist trial counsel to whatever degree is desired, from a limited consulting role to the complete handling of any appeal.
- Conducted internal investigations for multiple health care providers concerning possible fraud by physicians and other employees.
- Conducted internal investigation of nationally-ranked engineering consulting firm in connection with FBI investigation of possible public corruption crimes. No charges were brought against firm.
- Conducted internal investigation for naval contractor concerning potential fraud on the government by certain shipbuilding employees.
- Conducted investigation for multinational specialty chemicals manufacturer into suspected theft of trade secrets and violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- Represented multiple health care industry clients in responding to investigations conducted under the Drug Enforcement Agency’s Diversion Control Program.
- Guided health care client with substantial potential regulatory exposure to satisfactory resolution through Self Disclosure Protocol of the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General.
- Represented specialty pharmacy being investigated by Mississippi Medicaid Fraud Control Unit. No action taken against client.