Helmsing Leach attorneys have represented clients in all aspects of the field of employment and labor law.
The Firm has counseled clients regarding compliance with federal labor and employment law including Title VII, Section 1981/1983, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Older Workers Benefit Protection Act (OWBPA), and Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN).
The Firm has provided advice regarding compliance with employment policies and procedures and with state and federal law governing the relationships between employer and employee, including sexual harassment policies, complaint investigation, personnel policies and handbooks, disciplinary actions, wage and hour compliance, arbitration agreements, employment agreements, covenants not to compete (non-competition agreements), non-solicitation agreements, confidentiality agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and protection of trade secrets.
Helmsing Leach lawyers have provided counsel concerning compensation plans, including deferred compensation, incentive stock option, stock bonus, employee stock ownership, profit-sharing, pension, health care and other employee benefit plans.
- Administrative claims before the EEOC and other regulatory bodies
- Workman’s compensation and retaliatory discharge cases and other employment litigation and arbitration
- Discrimination and retaliation claims, including race, sex, age, and disability, as well as claims alleging noncompliance with other federal and state law requirements.
- Representation of employers in disputes with labor unions, including the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, the interpretation and application of collective bargaining agreements, and arbitration and grievance hearings, including regular representation before members of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS).
- Successfully arbitrated grievances between local businesses and labor unions regarding the dismissal of employee for just cause
- Resolved numerous EEOC claims relating to various types of alleged discriminating conduct
- Successfully defended federal lawsuit over the calculations and availability of leave time under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Prepared employment release agreements that comply with federal requirements for the release of EEOC claims and ADEA claims.
- Successfully defended employers in federal and state lawsuits related to various employment matters including Title VII discrimination and retaliation claims.