Skip to content

The LaClede Hotel Building

For three decades, Helmsing Leach has made its home in the venerable LaClede Hotel building in historic downtown Mobile. The stately landmark began life in 1855 as two separate federal-style buildings, with a fruit market and other stores on the ground floor, and living quarters above. In 1871, a third building was added and the three structures were wrapped with a cast iron gallery and covered balcony, unifying them to become the LaClede Hotel.

The LaClede was among Mobile’s most prestigious hotels until well into the twentieth century and hosted many of the city’s important social events. By mid-century, however, its fortunes had turned, and the august institution closed its doors in 1963.

Happily, some twenty years later, a group of investors renovated the structure, transforming it into a modern office facility, while carefully preserving its old world charm, including much of the original hotel lobby and the cast iron gallery and balcony.

Mobile has gone through a dramatic renaissance in recent years, including a major restoration of its historic downtown district. The LaClede is located right in the heart of all of this renewal, providing Helmsing Leach with a perfect base for its operations as it looks to the future.

Photo of parade passing the LaClede building, July 4, 1916
Bankhead Tunnel and LaClede Building
Photo of sun room at the LaClede Hotel, early 1940s